The Island Runaways had some exciting news! Jody at The Tropical Tourist, a terrific blog about tropical travel, nominated us for a Liebster Award for new bloggers. Thank you so much, Jody!
My husband Zickie and I started the Island Runaways travel blog only a few months ago, and we're very grateful to our readers and followers who love island escapes and have been sharing this journey with us. We also truly appreciate fellow bloggers like The Tropical Tourist who give encouragement when it's very much needed.
(Zickie and I at the airport, ready to "run away")
So, now that we've been nominated, what next?
Part of the Liebster Award process is that the blogger needs to answer 11 questions. Fortunately, I love questionnaires! Any excuse to blab my opinions! So here goes:
1. Why did you start traveling?
Basically, because of my parents. They took me to England and Ireland when I was only 15 months old. And then throughout my childhood, I was taken on many trips, both in my home state of Florida, the rest of the U.S., the Bahamas, and further afield in Europe. So the travel bug bit me early. Luckily, my husband Zickie also loves to explore foreign places, and is a talented photographer to boot! So we've had great times traveling to islands and other places together, and now with our daughter.
2. Why did you start writing about it?
It seemed like a natural extension of my work as a freelance writer and my love of traveling. Prior to this blog, I wrote Miami for Families: A Vacation Guide for Parents and Kids (the University Press of Florida, 2014). Then I began guest blogging for some folks I admired, like the blogs Authentic Florida, Uncommon Caribbean, and Rum Therapy. Prior to writing the guidebook, I had several short stories published, along with book reviews, art exhibition reviews, and other articles.
3. What has been your favorite travel destination?
It would be impossible to choose one. India made a huge impression on me. The French islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe enchanted me with their beauty, culture, and cuisine. Hydra, Greece was definitely a favorite: there are no cars, only donkeys for transportation. So amazingly peaceful, and beautiful.
4. How do you choose your next destination?
Some of it has to do with price of plane fare, some of it, just what arouses our curiosity. Curiosity is a major motivator for leaving home and discovering a new destination. On a practical note, I love researching possible destinations, through guidebooks, blogs, and travel websites like Trip Advisor in the process of choosing a new locale.
5. Do you always travel to new destinations or do you like to revisit your favorite ones over and over?
If I had unlimited funds, I'd do both! There are so many places I'm dying to return to (Corsica, Hydra, Puerto Rico, to mention just three). On the other hand, as I said, curiosity motivates me to try somewhere new. Since I'm a travel blogger now, I do feel some obligation to get out there and write about new experiences for my readers.
6. Do you ever get nervous before you go to a new destination?
Maybe I worry a little. particularly since I make our travel arrangements. I hope the place I've rented is good, I hope we don't get lost driving around, etc. But on the other hand, since I enjoy traveling and like the process of discovery, I tend not to get especially nervous once I'm there.
7. What type of accommodation do you prefer when you travel?
I love little boutique hotels, small properties, and rental cottages. That being said, I've also stayed in some large hotels and enjoyed that as well. I'm not a big "crowd" person, so that explains why smaller properties are my thing.
8. What’s your favorite time of year to travel?
Anytime I have a plane ticket! Now that I'm a mother, summer -- when school is out -- gives us the most flexibility. But I like traveling in January or March or November. In fact, one dream is to spend Christmas in Venice.
9. Do you spend the Christmas holidays on the road or do you celebrate at home with family?
Since my husband Zickie's family lives in Jamaica, we tend to spend Christmas in Jamaica every other year. The years in between, we'll spend Christmas in Florida with my relatives. But I would would like to try a travel Christmas vacation sometime.
10. What has been your scariest travel moment?
Realizing I'd been robbed in Barcelona. And that my traveling partner had been robbed, too. We spent the night cold and hungry in an ATM lobby. That was a long time ago, but I still remember the sinking feeling!
11. Do you think your travels will ever stop or slow down?
From time to time, I may take a break. My life-style right now, especially as a mother, means I can't pick up and travel any old day. But I hope I can keep traveling for many decades. That's a good reason to try to stay healthy!
Thank you again, Jody! It was fun to respond to your questions. Now it's my turn to nominate fellow travel bloggers for the Liebster Award. My nominees are:
1. Mango Eddie @mango_eddie
2. Thrifty Caribbean @CaribbeanWinter
3. Boogabooster.com @boogabooster
4. Uncover Your Caribbean @UncoverYours
5. Beau @exploretheocean
6. Sand On the Brain Lorie @sandonthebrain
The Liebster Award rules are:
1) Thank the blogger who nominated you, with a link back to his/her blog
2) Answer the 11 questions your nominator asks you
3) Nominate 5–11 bloggers with under 500 Twitter followers
4) Create 11 questions for your nominees
5) Display the Liebster Award logo on your page
6) List these 6 rules in your blog post
Here are my questions:
1) How long have you been blogging?
2) What advice would give you a new blogger?
3) If you could magically transport yourself anywhere in the world, where would that be?
4) What's the best part of traveling?
5) Do you pack light, or...not?
6) What's your favorite blog (besides your own)?
7) How would you complete this sentence: "Winter is ______, but summer is _____" ?
8) What kind of camera, if any, do you take when you travel?
9) Are you an advance planner, or a spur-of-the-moment kind of traveler?
10) Have you discovered a favorite food during your travels, and if so, what was it?
11) Do you like questionnaires like this or do they fill you with DREAD?
Thanks for participating!